Small and Easy Changes You Can Make Today Towards Fat Loss
Making small, easy changes every day can make a bigger impact towards fat loss and health than making drastic changes. Sometimes when we make too many drastic changes and we aren't ready for the repercussions, we fail and slip back into our old habits. Therefore, doing small changes every day towards a healthier you will ensure your more success in achieving your goals.
Below are some small things you can do every day to stay on track to a healthier and leaner you:
- Up the protein: Protein is king when it comes to fat loss. It keeps us full and satisfied longer so we don't eat as much and boosts our metabolism. The best sources of protein for fat loss are also full of fibre to keep you satiated, so choose plant-based options like lentils, legumes and beans with quinoa and rice for a complete and low fat protein source.
- Lift weights: Strength training builds muscle mass, which means you burn more calories throughout the day. Also, muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. Muscle weighs the same as fat, but doesn't take up as much space. So having more muscle will give you a leaner physique while burning more calories when sedentary.
- Cut the carbs, up the veg: There are good carbs and bad carbs. Bad carbs spike blood sugar levels and bring on cravings for more sugar. Good carbs are full of fibre, nutrients and vitamins that are essential to our health and keep us satiated. However, if you're trying to lose fat, you need to up the veg. If you're looking at your plate and how to divide your portions, keep your complex carbs at 25% of the plate, protein at 25% of the plate, 40% vegetables and 10% healthy fats.
- Use smaller plates: Large plates are one of the main reasons we overeat. By using smaller plates, we can still fill it up while getting all the necessary food we need. Overeating is one of the leading causes of weight gain, which also includes digestion problems and even mood swings.
- Fibre at every meal: There are two different kinds of fibre: Soluble and Insoluble. Soluble fibre acts as a sponge to expand and keep you full, while insoluble fibre acts like a broom, sweeping food and waste away and keeping your digestion healthy. Increased fibre is associated with a leaner waist circumference. This is especially true if you have a high fibre breakfast like Oatmeal with flax and berries, as it'll keep you fuller longer first thing in the morning so you don't eat as much throughout the day.
- Make your meals: Not only will you save money overall, but you actually know what you're eating. Eating out leads to extra calories you may not even know about. Adding even an extra tablespoon of fat adds on at least 100 calories. By making your own meals you know exactly what's in it and how many calories (roughly) you're eating.
- Eat one vegan meal a day: Studies have shown that vegan's are usually leaner than their omnivore counterparts. This isn't necessarily just because of the lack of animal fats being consumed, but more so because more vegetables, fruits, fibre, phytonutrients, and antioxidants are being consumed as well.
- Change your attitude: It's so easy to get discouraged by people who don't understand why you're on this "health kick". I personally don't think you should ever be on a health kick, rather it should be a lifelong healthy lifestyle. Once you stop caring about what others think about your "health kick" and that what you're doing is great for not only your body but also your mind, you'll ultimately be on your path to ultimate health and fat loss.
Healthy and long lasting fat loss takes learning, time and patience. If you commit yourself to understanding how it can work for you then you'll be successful. Sometimes it only takes a few small changes to make all the difference.