How Celebs Get Fit

I really enjoy subscribing to Shape Magazine's online newsletter. They always send useful and enjoyable information right to my email!

They recently shared an article about how different celebrities stayed in shape. I read through them all, which you can see here, and picked the tips I liked best (because I either currently use them or find them useful for us "normal" people trying to stay fit):

  • In order to eat healthy without abstaining from everything she loves, Jillian Michaels told Health that she follows the 80/20 rule. "Make 80 percent of the food you eat healthy, then take 20 percent of your daily calories and make them fun," she says.
    • Make sure your grocery cart is always filled with 80% healthy, raw and nutrition foods (nothing processed, with sugar or high unhealthy fats & carbs) and have fun with the other 20%! Remember that if you make sure to portion size, you will most likely never lose track.
  • Hydrating all day, every day is crucial to your overall health, but fitness expert, celebrity trainer, and star of Personal Training with Jackie: 30 Day Fast Start Jackie Warner says it can help you in the weight-loss department, too. She suggests drinking three liters of water with lemon daily. "Adding the lemon helps to detoxify the liver and metabolizes fat, and can speed up metabolism by about 33 percent," Warner says. "That burns about 100 extra calories per day!”
    • I find adding lemon and even cucumber not only makes drinking water much easier but a lot more enjoyable and I literally do feel so much better inside!
  • For Kelly Osbourne, the hardest part about getting in shape wasn't the workout, it was seeing her reflection in the mirror. "I would look at myself and think, 'Ugh!' I was miserable," she says. "To get to the gym when you already don't like yourself is really hard. So I had to make it fun. I started wearing cute outfits and putting on a little bit of makeup. And as vain as it sounds, it really helped me because eventually I stopped hating the way I looked."
    • To reward myself for hitting a goal (like losing 5 lbs or successfully cutting back on my morning chocolate habit) I buy something cute to wear to the gym! Not only did it motivate me to GET to the gym but it motivated me to STAY there too.
  • Yoga guru Mandy Ingber believes that it's the short-term goals that matter most when it comes to hitting health and fitness milestones. "You set yourself up for success by having mini-wins along the way," she says. "You don't have to beat yourself up or be hard on yourself. It doesn't get you 'there' any faster. You can encourage yourself instead. Love what you have and go for more!"
    • Specific and measurable GOALS are the key to success! Write down small goals first and once you reach those it will be so much easier and motivational to strive for more. Most importantly: Don't beat yourself up if you ate that extra cookie. You did not completely mess up all your progress and you will use that slip up to get back on track!
Chelsey Labusch